For the Ham Steaks
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fresh ham steak (not cooked), either one large steak or two 1/2-pound steaks
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 6 Old-Fashioned Sweet Potato Biscuits
For the Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 12 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup mashed roasted sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
For the Ham SteaksIn a bowl combine the butter, molasses, pecans and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the ham and sear for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove the ham from the pan and set aside. Stir in the coffee. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, split open the biscuits. Butter the bottom half of each biscuit. Cut the ham into 6 portions. Spoon the gravy over the ham.
- Top with biscuit top
For the Sweet Potato BiscuitsPreheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Grease a 1/2-sheet pan. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add the butter, and with your hands, work the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles a coarse cornmeal. Stir in the sweet potatoes and pecans. Add the half-and-half, a little at a time until soft dough is formed. Lightly flour a surface. Place the dough onto the surface and dust the top with flour.
- Lightly press the dough out to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut the biscuits into rounds. Place the biscuits on a greased baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Source: The Emeril Lagasse Show: Episode 6 - Emeril's Heartland
- Dish Type: Entree
- Cuisine: Southern
- Occasion: Any