For the Ham Steaks
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fresh ham steak (not cooked), either one large steak or two 1/2-pound steaks
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 6 Old-Fashioned Sweet Potato Biscuits
For the Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 12 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup mashed roasted sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
For the Ham SteaksIn a bowl combine the butter, molasses, pecans and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the ham and sear for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove the ham from the pan and set aside. Stir in the coffee. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, split open the biscuits. Butter the bottom half of each biscuit. Cut the ham into 6 portions. Spoon the gravy over the ham.
- Top with biscuit top
For the Sweet Potato BiscuitsPreheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Grease a 1/2-sheet pan. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add the butter, and with your hands, work the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles a coarse cornmeal. Stir in the sweet potatoes and pecans. Add the half-and-half, a little at a time until soft dough is formed. Lightly flour a surface. Place the dough onto the surface and dust the top with flour.
- Lightly press the dough out to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut the biscuits into rounds. Place the biscuits on a greased baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Source: The Emeril Lagasse Show: Episode 6 - Emeril's Heartland
- Dish Type: Entree
- Cuisine: Southern
- Occasion: Any
Roasted Red Pepper Mac And Cheese
Lemony Spiked Sweet Tea
Vegetable Pot Pie
Blackened Red Fish With Emeril’s Quick Cabbage And Lemon Butter
Ej’s Simple Oven Ribs
Cucumber Eye Gel
Salmon And Potato Casserole
Fresh Tuna And Butter Lettuce Wraps With Crispy Wonton Threads, Shaved Jalapeno, And Basil Oil
Pork Belly With Arepas