- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef sirloin,
- cut into 2 x 1 x 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning noodles
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14-ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 (12-ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Season the beef strips with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Add the beef to the hot pan and sear for 1 to 2 minutes, then turn with tongs onto the second side. Continue to sear the meat on the second side for another minute, or until golden brown. Transfer the beef to a large plate.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add 3 tablespoons of the butter to the pan. When the butter has melted, add the mushrooms and sautÈ, stirring often, until the mushrooms are well browned, about 7 minutes. Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring often, until the onion is very soft and lightly browned around the edges, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the beef broth and beef to the pan and bring the contents of the pan to a boil while whisking constantly.
- Remove from the heat, then whisk in the sour cream and mustard. Set aside, covered and off the heat, while you prepare the noodles.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt, and cook the noodles until al dente (see page 65), about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain the cooked noodles in a colander in the sink and return them to the pot. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the noodles and season to taste with black pepper. Toss to blend.
- Reheat the Beef Stroganoff gently over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add the parsley and stir to combine. Do not allow the sauce to boil.
- Once the beef is hot, divide the noodles among 4 dinner plates and top with the sauce. Serve immediately.