- 8 slices home-style white bread
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 2/3 cups cubed, cooked breast meat)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice, peppercorns, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and thyme. Add the chicken breasts and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off any scum that rises to the surface with a slotted spoon. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow the chicken to cool in the liquid for 45 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cool, transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop. Discard poaching liquid.
- Transfer the chicken to a mixing bowl and add the mayonnaise, the remaining 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, celery, parsley, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and white pepper. Use a wooden spoon to stir until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the chicken salad among 4 slices of bread, about 2/3 cup per sandwich. Top with another slice of bread and serve immediately.
- Options to add to salad: Minced Scallions Celery Seeds Toasted Walnuts Chopped fresh dill or tarragon Sweet pickle relish Grape halves