- 2 domestic ducks, about 4 pounds
- 2 tablespoons Steen's Pure Cane Syrup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, in all
- 4 ribs of celery, sliced lengthwise in half
- 1 large head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 1/4 pound baby carrots, peeled
- 1/4 pound baby parsnips, peeled
- 6 ounces red boiler onions, peeled and cut in half
- 1/4 pound baby turnips, peeled
- 1/4 pound baby red beets, peeled
- 4 small red or fingerling potatoes, halved or quartered
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or duck stock
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Quarter the ducks. Season the duck with salt and pepper. Rub the duck with the cane syrup. In a saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil is hot, sear the duck, skin side down, for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside. Place the celery and garlic on a wire rack fitted over a roasting pan.
In a mixing bowl, toss the baby root vegetables, onions, remaining olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne, and dried herbs together. Spread the vegetables evenly over the celery and garlic. Place the seared duck pieces on top of the vegetables.
Pour the stock and sherry in the bottom of the roasting pan. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the duck is tender.
Remove the duck from the oven. Mound the vegetables in the center of the platter. Lay the duck over the vegetables. Spoon any remaining sauce over the duck. Garnish with chives. Serve family style
Oven-Roasted Chicken With Garlic Rosemary Smear
Roasted Vegetable Pecan Relish
Stewed Okra With Creole Chicken
Alligator Sauce Piquante
Blackened Red Fish With Emeril’s Quick Cabbage And Lemon Butter
Trout Amandine With Creole Meuniere Sauce
Shrimp Stuffed Flounder With Sauce Piquante
Pan Fried Catfish With Andouille Smothered White Beans