- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ham steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 3 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
In a large saucepan, with a lid, over medium heat, add the oil. Season the ham with black pepper. Add the ham and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 20 minutes or until the onions begin to caramelize.
Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium -low, partially cover and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the heat and reseason if necessary.