- 3 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- Make the pastry. Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. With a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg with the milk. Gradually add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, working it to make a thick dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.