- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup green peas, defrosted if frozen (optional)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup small diced smoked cured ham (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fettuccine, tagliatelle, or other wide ribbon noodles
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and 1 tablespoon of the salt. Return to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente, stirring occasionally to prevent the noodles from sticking, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the ham, if desired, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Cook until the volume is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. If desired, add the peas. Add the remaining teaspoon of salt and the pepper, and stir well.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, drain the pasta in a colander set in the sink and place the pasta in a large bowl.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta. Add the cheese and toss to coat.
- If desired, add the parsley and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve immediately.