- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 2 pounds eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 green onions, bottoms minced and tops sliced, reserved separately
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon dark Asian sesame oil
Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large nonstick sauté pan. When it is hot, add half of the eggplant and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the eggplant is nicely browned and softened, stirring as necessary to promote even browning, about 5 minutes. Add half of the green onion bottoms, 1 tablespoon of the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of the crushed red pepper, 1/2 tablespoon of the sesame seeds, and 1/2 tablespoon of the sesame oil. Toss to combine. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Combine both batches in the same pan, add the green onion tops, and heat briefly until warmed through, 1 minute. Serve immediately.
- Source: Emeril 20-40-60