- 4 (6 to 7-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon Essence or Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk to make an egg wash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed for frying
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3/4 pound assorted exotic mushrooms, such as shiitakes, chanterelles, and black trumpets, stemmed, wiped clean, and sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock, or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 large boiled artichoke hearts, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Season each chicken breast half with 1/2 teaspoon of the Essence and set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the Essence in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the remaining tablespoon Essence. Put the egg wash in a third bowl.
- Dredge the chicken first in the flour, shaking to remove any excess, then in the egg wash, letting any excess drip off, and then in the bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in 2 batches, adding oil as necessary after cooking the first batch, and cook until golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet and roast until cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large clean skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add half the mushrooms and cook until browned. Transfer to a plate then brown the remaining mushrooms in the same manner. Once the second batch is browned return the onions and mushroms to the pan and continue to cook until soft and they have begun to give off their liquid, about 4 minutes. Add the salt and pepper and stir. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons flour, stir to incorporate, and cook until the mixture is thick, about 1 minute. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, stir well to incorporate, and simmer until the mixture is thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the cream, bring to a simmer, and cook until the mixture is thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Add the sliced artichoke hearts and lemon juice and stir to incorporate. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining tablespoon butter, the green onions, and parsley. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- To serve, place 1 chicken breast in the center of each of four large plates and top each with an equal portion of the sauce. Serve immediately.
Delmonico House Salad
Delmonico Salad Dressing
Boiled Artichoke Hearts
Bananas Foster Bread Pudding With Vanilla Ice Cream And Caramel Sauce
Delmonico Chicken Clemenceau
Delmonico's Smoked Salmon And Brie Crepes With Herbsaint Butter Sauce And Crispy Spinach
Delmonico's Dry Age Rib-eyes With Emeril's Worcestershire Sauce