- 1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Yellow cornmeal, for sprinkling the baking sheet
- In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, honey, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, stirring to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until the dough is smooth but still slightly sticky. You might not need all of the flour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Oil a large mixing bowl with remaining olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place, free from drafts until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Parmesan Pizza Dough: Substitute 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese for 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour. Use a pinch of salt instead of 1 teaspoon. Proceed as directed above.
- Oregano Pizza Dough: Stir 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano in with the flour and proceed as directed above.