- 3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate Pudding
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 9 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 by 13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Sift the cake flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in 3 batches alternating with the buttermilk and ending with the flour. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the vanilla and stir to combine well. Transfer batter to the prepared cake pan and bake until the cake is light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow the cake to cool slightly. Turn the cake out of the pan onto a rack and allow to cool completely.
- Cut or break the cake into 2 to 3-inch pieces. Working on a large platter or in a large serving bowl, place a layer of cake pieces onto the platter and spoon or pour half of the pudding over the cake. Top with the remaining cake pieces and, using your hands, press the cake pieces into the pudding to form a round mound resembling a cake. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place the heavy cream in a large, chilled mixing bowl and beat until mixture just begins to form soft peaks. Add the confectioners' sugar and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon whipped cream all over the mound of cake and pudding and serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 hours before serving. Serve with dollops of the remaining pudding.
Banana Pudding Layer Cake From Nola Restaurant
Skillet Corn Cake With Stewed Cherries
Café Au Lait Crème Brûlée with Cane Syrup Cake
Triple Coconut Cake with Seven-Minute Coconut Frosting
Angel Food Cake with Marinated Peaches
Gigi's Carrot Cake
Firehouse Crab Boil