- Oil for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup beer
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 trout fillets, about 6 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 6 large soft flour tortillas
- Spicy Horseradish Coleslaw
- Hot sauce, such as Sriracha, if desired for serving
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or in a large saucepan to 375 degrees F.
- Sift 1 cup of the flour, the baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper together into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the oil, beer, and hot sauce. Stir until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Season each trout fillet with 1 teaspoon of the Essence. Cut each fillet into diagonal 1 1/2-inch strips. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup flour with the remaining 2 teaspoons of Essence. Dredge the fish strips in the seasoned flour then shake to release any excess flour. Transfer to a plate.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Wrap the flour tortillas in aluminum foil and place in the oven to warm, or warm according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Dredge each piece of fish in the beer batter, making sure the fish is completely coated. Allow any excess batter to drip into the bowl, then slowly lower the fish into the hot oil. Repeat with the remaining fish, working in batches if necessary. Fry the fish until it is puffed, golden brown and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the fish with a slotted spoon or tongs and drain on a paper-lined plate. Place the fish in a warm oven, while you cook the remaining fish, until you are ready to assemble the tacos.
- Divide the fish strips between the warmed flour tortillas and top with some of the Spicy Horseradish Coleslaw. Drizzle with hot sauce, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Spicy Horseradish Coleslaw
Beer Battered Fried Okra Stuffed With Crabmeat And A Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Beer Battered Fish With Twice-fried Vinegar Chips And Basil Mayonnaise
Parsnip Cakes With Smoked Trout, Apple, And Horseradish Cream
"oat Cuisine" Horseradish Crusted Salmon Trout With Whole Grain Mustard Cream Sauce
Coconut Beer Battered Shrimp With Mango Orange Chutney
Pan-Fried Rainbow Trout with Chive Beurre Blanc
Fried Fish Tacos with Corn and Tomato Salsa
Fried Oysters With Horseradish Cream And Tomato-corn Salsa
Horseradish And Citrus Crusted Tuna With Beer Sauce And Warm Ham And Herb Potato Salad