- 24 ounces chorizo or other hot sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 4 large fresh jalapenos, stems and ends removed, cut into 20 slices about 1/4-inch thick each
- 12 corn tortillas
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Spicy Sour Cream Dip
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, stirring, until browned and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Add the onions, garlic, Essence, and chili powder, and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the cheeses.
- Place 4 tortillas on a work surface. Top each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the sausage mixture.
- Top each with some cheese and a few jalapeno slices and top with another tortilla.
- Add another layer of sausage, cheese, and jalapeno finishing with 1 more tortilla. Each stack should be 3 tortillas and 2 layers of filling.
- Press firmly down on the top of each stack.
- Lightly oil the grill or griddle and cook the stacks for about 3 minutes per side, or until the tortillas are golden brown and the cheese is melted. Cut each into 4 pieces.
- Place on a serving platter and garnish with the cilantro. Serve hot with Spicy Sour Cream Dip, if desired.
Poor Man's Beef Wellington
Spicy Sour Cream Dip
Crab Rangoon Pot Stickers With Hot Mustard Sauce
Coconut Beer Battered Shrimp With Mango Orange Chutney
Steak And Potato Bites
Cheese And Sausage Lasagna Bites
Emeril's Crawfish Cream Pasta Bites
Manly Man Stuffed Cornbread
Baked Jalapeno Poppers
Fire Roasted Corn And Tomato Salsa