- 2 squabs, 12 to 16 ounces each, cleaned and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup roughly chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Steamed long grain white rice, accompaniment
- Homemade Plum Sauce
- Minced green onions, garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the squabs and blanch for 2 minutes. Remove, drain, and pat dry with kitchen towels. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken stock, green onions, garlic, light and dark soy sauces, ginger, rice wine, brown sugar, honey, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the squabs and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove and dry on kitchen towels for at least 1 hour, and up to 4 hours (refrigerated). Strain the poaching liquid to serve with the rice, if desired.
- In a medium pot heat enough oil to come halfway up the sides to 350 dergrees F. Carefully add the squabs and fry until the skins are crisp and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Mound rice in the center of 2 plates and drizzle with a small amount of the poaching liquid, if desired. Place the squabs in the center of the rice and spoon the Plum Sauce over the top of the birds. Garnish with chopped green onions. Serve hot.
Homemade Plum Sauce
Pan Roasted Squab With Cherry Balsamic Sauce, Fried Sweet Potato And Beet Nests, And Haricot Verts
Roasted Squab With Orange Rice
Roasted Squab Stuffed With A Creole Rice Dressing
Emeril's Grilled Cowboy Steak With Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Fried Oysters And A Drizzle Of Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
Tempura Chicken Fingers With Plum Sauce And Ginger Stir Fried Vegetables
Tchoup Chop Chicken Stir Fry With Noodles
Whole Roasted Squabs Stuffed With Eggplant And Bacon Dressing
Glazed Baby Back Ribs With Plum Sauce And Cilantro Potato Salad
Crispy Striped Bass With Sauteed Baby Morels And A Watercress Sauce