- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus 4 cups for frying
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons Essence, plus more for dusting
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 3 to 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Spicy Lemon Tartar Sauce
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the green onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the catfish and season with the Essence, cayenne, and lemon juice. Cook, stirring, until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in 1 tablespoon of parsley, and let cool.
- In a large deep pot, heat the 4 cups of oil over medium-high heat to 360 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, baking powder, salt, and hot sauce until smooth. Gradually add the flour 1/4 cup at a time, whisking constantly, to make a smooth batter. Fold in the catfish mixture.
- In batches without crowding, drop heaping tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil. Fry, turning to brown evenly, until the beignets float to the surface, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with Essence, to taste.
- Place on a platter, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and pass with Spicy Lemon Tartar Sauce.
Spicy Lemon Tartar Sauce
Pan Fried Pass Manchac Catfish With Spicy Tartar Sauce And Hush Puppies
Spicy Fried Smelts With Creole Lemon Tartar Sauce
Crawfish Beignets With Tomato And Corn Tartar Sauce
Gulf Fish Beignets With Green Onion Tartar Sauce
Gulf Fish Beignets With Grilled Corn And Tomato Tartar Sauce
Catfish Sauce Piquante Served Over Giant Jalapeno Corn Muffins
Pan Fried Catfish With Tartar Sauce And Cornbread Salad
Potato Crusted Catfish With Mirliton Lyonnaise
Tempura Stone Crab Claws With Lemon Black Pepper Tartar Sauce