- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus 4 cups for frying
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons Essence, plus more for dusting 
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 3 to 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Spicy Lemon Tartar Sauce 
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the green onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the catfish and season with the Essence, cayenne, and lemon juice. Cook, stirring, until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in 1 tablespoon of parsley, and let cool.
- In a large deep pot, heat the 4 cups of oil over medium-high heat to 360 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, baking powder, salt, and hot sauce until smooth. Gradually add the flour 1/4 cup at a time, whisking constantly, to make a smooth batter. Fold in the catfish mixture.
- In batches without crowding, drop heaping tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil. Fry, turning to brown evenly, until the beignets float to the surface, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with Essence, to taste.
- Place on a platter, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and pass with Spicy Lemon Tartar Sauce.