- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces hot Italian sausage, chopped or crumbled
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 small butternut squash (1 to 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, halved, seeds and fibers removed, and diced
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 large zucchini, ends trimmed
- 8 (3-ounce) medallions halibut, grouper or other firm mild fish, trimmed to measure each about 1 1/2 to 2 inches square
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinot Noir Butter Sauce
- Zucchini blossoms, garnish
- Chopped chives, garnish
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and stir to break up into pieces. Cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the squash and cook, stirring, until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the sugar, salt, pepper, and chicken stock, and stir. Cover and cook over medium heat until the squash is tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Uncover, stir, and cook until the liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, adjust seasoning, to taste, and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a mandolin or other slicing machine, cut the zucchini lengthwise into long ribbons, about 1/8-inch thick. On a work surface, overlap 2 long zucchini ribbons to form a cross. In the center of the cross, place 1 halibut medallion and season lightly with salt and pepper. Brush a small amount of egg wash on each zucchini strip and fold alternately over the fish to form a tight package. Lightly salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the fish packages, folded side down, and sear for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the butter, turn the fish and place in the oven until cooked through and tops are golden, 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- To serve, spoon the squash hash in the center of 4 plates. Top each portion with 2 fish packages and nap with the Pinot Noir Butter Sauce. Garnish each plate with zucchini blossoms and sprinkle with chopped chives. Serve immediately.
Pinot Noir Butter Sauce
Pork Medallions With Pears And Spaghetti Squash
Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli With A Sage Brown Butter Sauce
Prosciutto Wrapped Halibut With A Caper And Tomato Butter Sauce
Tempura Squash Blossom And Crab Packages With Hoisin Butter Sauce
Butternut Squash Gnocchi With Balsamic Brown Butter
Pork Wellington With Onion Applesauce And Candied Butternut Squash
Truffle Stuffed Chicken Legs In Puff Pastry With Candied Butternut Squash
Roasted Acorn Squash Salad With Maple Syrup Dressing
Blue Cheese Butter Spread, And Blue Cheese Butter Stuffed Chicken Breasts With Butter Infused Pan Sauce