- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup Coco Lopez
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 6 cups 1/2-inch cubes day-old bread
- 1 1/2 cups mango, diced small
- Fried Coconut Strips
- Caramel Rum Sauce
- 1 cup coarsely grated fresh coconut, for cleaning coconut and grating, or making into ribbons, method follows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 10 by 14-inch baking dish with the softened butter.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the coconut milk, Coco Lopez, brown sugar, rum, 2 tablespoons melted butter, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and whisk well to combine. Add the bread and mango, and stir well. Pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake until firm when pressed in the center, about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack until just warm, about 20 minutes. Serve warm, sprinkled with the fried coconut strips and drizzled with the caramel rum sauce.
- To open and peel the coconut: 1 ripe coconut
- Place the coconut flat on a work surface covered with a kitchen towel. Using a hammer or large meat mallet, drive a large nail or metal skewer into 1 of the eyes. Drain the liquid into a container and reserve for another use.
- Place carefully whack the center of the coconut with a meat mallet or the blunt back of a large, heavy cleaver several times until it cracks open cleanly into 2 halves.
- Wrap the coconut in the towel and whack it several times with a hammer to break into pieces. Using a short, heavy knife, carefully pry the meat away from the shell. (If necessary, loosen the meat from the shell by heating the coconut for 15 to 20 minutes in a 400 degrees F. oven.)
- Trim any remaining brown skin from the meat with a small, sharp knife.
- To grate the coconut, use the large side of a heavy grater. To make coconut ribbons, use a vegetable peeler. Wrap in plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Yield: 2 cups
Coconut And White Chocolate Souffles With Mango-rum Sauce
Bananas Foster Bread Pudding With Vanilla Ice Cream And Caramel Sauce
Fried Coconut Strips
Banana Walnut Bread Pudding With Buttery Rum Sauce
Caramel Rum Sauce
Jitterbug's Bread Pudding With Rum Creme Anglaise
Grilled Banana Splits with Hot Fudge and Rum Caramel Sauce
White Chocolate And Blueberry Bread Pudding, With Amaretto Cream Sauce
Roasted Chicken With Caramelized Onions, Andouille And Sweet Corn Bread Pudding With Southern Cooked Greens
Rice Pudding With Rum Raisins And Sugared Almonds