- Canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup coconut ribbons, see instructions
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Fill a 6-quart pot halfway with oil and heat to 360 degrees F.
- In 2 batches, add the coconut to the oil and cook, turning with a slotted spoon, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with the powdered sugar while still warm, and sprinkle over the bread pudding.
- To open and peel the coconut: 1 ripe coconut
- Place the coconut flat on a work surface covered with a kitchen towel. Using a hammer or large meat mallet, drive a large nail or metal skewer into 1 of the eyes. Drain the liquid into a container and reserve for another use.
- Place carefully whack the center of the coconut with a meat mallet or the blunt back of a large, heavy cleaver several times until it cracks open cleanly into 2 halves.
- Wrap the coconut in the towel and whack it several times with a hammer to break into pieces. Using a short, heavy knife, carefully pry the meat away from the shell. (If necessary, loosen the meat from the shell by heating the coconut for 15 to 20 minutes in a 400 degrees F. oven.)
- Trim any remaining brown skin from the meat with a small, sharp knife.
- To grate the coconut, use the large side of a heavy grater. To make coconut ribbons, use a vegetable peeler. Wrap in plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Yield: 2 cups
Coconut Mango Bread Pudding With Caramel Rum Sauce And Fried Coconut Strips
Fried Mirliton Strips
Shrimp Etouffee With Steamed Rice And Fried Mirliton Strips
Fried Tortilla Strips
Albuquerque Roast Chicken With Black Bean Chili, Guacamole, And Fried Tortilla Strips
Coconut Cilantro Rice Pilaf
Sticky Rice With Coconut Sauce: Kha Niao Man