- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds veal breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 leek, white portion only, well rinsed and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 small pearl onions, peeled and trimmed
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 Bouquet Garni
- 8 ounces assorted mushrooms, wiped clean, stems discarded, caps left whole
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, garnish
- Wild rice mix, accompaniment
- In a Dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the veal and sear on all sides. Remove the veal to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter and melt. Add the carrots, leeks, celery, and pearl onions, and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the flour, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the stock, wine, reserved meat, and bouquet garni and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Discard the bouquet garni and add the mushrooms. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked through and tender. Add the lemon juice, cream, and herbs.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve hot over wild rice mixture.
Smothered Veal Chops With Mushroom Gravy
Smothered Veal And Morel Pie
Veal Grillades And Grits With Smothered Greens
Smothered Veal Chops With Tasso Mushroom Gravy
Homemade Creme Fraiche
Bacon Clam Dip
Cheesecake Ice Cream With Blueberry Syrup
James Beard's Cream Biscuits