- 1 pound 21 to 25 count shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 2 teaspoons Asian Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 8 ounces (1/2 16-ounce box) katafi (shredded phyllo pastry), defrosted and covered with a damp towel
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 large head Bibb lettuce, separated into leaves, tough stem ends removed, washed and spun dry
- Chinese pickled vegetables, chopped
- Kicked Up Hoisin Sauce
- In a wok, preheat the oil to 375 degrees F.
- In a baking dish, toss the shrimp with the Asian spice and lime juice.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add the water, whisking until the batter is smooth and thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon. Place the shrimp in the batter and toss to coat.
- Unroll the katafi, a small amount at a time, and cut into lengths the same size as the shrimp, about 4-inches. Spread the cut katafi on a work surface and cover with a damp towel to keep from drying out. One at a time, lay the shrimp on the cut katafi and roll to completely wrap inside.In batches, add to the oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, place the shrimp in the lettuce cups. Drizzle with the hoisin sauce and sprinkle with the pickled vegetables. Serve immediately.
Kicked Up Hoisin Sauce
Tipsy Fish With Ginger Sake Sauce
Katafi Wrapped Chicken Strips With 2 Dipping Sauces
Tempura Squash Blossom And Crab Packages With Hoisin Butter Sauce
Fresh Tuna and Butter-Lettuce Wraps with Crispy Wonton Threads, Shaved Jalapeno and Basil Oil
Warm Pea Shoot And Rock Shrimp Salad With Hoisin Dressing And Crispy Wontons
Fresh Tuna And Butter Lettuce Wraps With Crispy Wonton Threads, Shaved Jalapeno, And Basil Oil
Zucchini Wrapped Fish With Butternut Squash Hash And Pinot Noir Butter Sauce
Prosciutto Wrapped Halibut With A Caper And Tomato Butter Sauce
Emeril's Favorite Chinese Chicken with Green Beans