- 1 pound 21 to 25 count shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 2 teaspoons Asian Spice Blend 
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 8 ounces (1/2 16-ounce box) katafi (shredded phyllo pastry), defrosted and covered with a damp towel
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 large head Bibb lettuce, separated into leaves, tough stem ends removed, washed and spun dry
- Chinese pickled vegetables, chopped
- Kicked Up Hoisin Sauce
- In a wok, preheat the oil to 375 degrees F.
- In a baking dish, toss the shrimp with the Asian spice and lime juice.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add the water, whisking until the batter is smooth and thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon. Place the shrimp in the batter and toss to coat.
- Unroll the katafi, a small amount at a time, and cut into lengths the same size as the shrimp, about 4-inches. Spread the cut katafi on a work surface and cover with a damp towel to keep from drying out. One at a time, lay the shrimp on the cut katafi and roll to completely wrap inside.In batches, add to the oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, place the shrimp in the lettuce cups. Drizzle with the hoisin sauce and sprinkle with the pickled vegetables. Serve immediately.