- 1 gallon water
- 2 3/4 cups kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 2 (4 to 5-pound) ducks, giblets and neck removed, well rinsed and patted dry
- Coffee-Nocello Glaze
- Haricots Verts
- To make the brining liquid, in a large, heavy pot combine the water, salt, peppercorns, and chile flakes, and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and submerge in an ice bath until cool. Add the ducks and weight with a small plate to submerge in the brine. Refrigerate at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours, turning occasionally to ensure that the ducks are evenly brined.
- Remove the ducks from the brine. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the ducks, 1 at a time, and poach for 3 minutes each. Remove with tongs and place on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Pat dry with paper towels. Pour 1/4 cup of the glaze onto the topside of each duck, rubbing to coat evenly. Refrigerate uncovered for 24 hours, spreading an additional 1/4 cup of glaze on each duck 3 times.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Remove the ducks from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature, 20 to 30 minutes. Spread about 1/2 cup of glaze over each duck, rubbing to coat evenly. Roast until deep golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Lower the temperature to 375 degrees F and roast until the skin is a deep mahogany color and the juices run clear, 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours. Add 1 cup of water every 30 minutes to the bottom of the roasting pan to prevent the dripping glaze from burning. Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- With poultry sheers, cut along either side of the backbone and remove. With a sharp knife, cut through the breastplate and remove the rib cage. Drizzle with additional glaze, if desired, and serve one duck half per person.
Coffee Nocello Glaze
Coffee Nocello Glazed Duck With Foie Gras Fried Rice
Baby Back Ribs With Coffee Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
Citrus and Tea-Glazed Duck
Chocolate Dipped Coffee Beans
Apple Coffee Cake With Crumble Topping And Brown Sugar Glaze
Apricot Glazed Duck Breasts With Caramelized Apples
Seared Magret Duck Breasts With Duck Fat, Pan-roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Haricots Verts And A Balsamic Cherry Reduction
Creole Duck Breast with Abita Beer Glaze and Sour Apples
Hoisin Glazed Chicken Stuffed With Sticky Rice And Chinese Sausage