- 1 pound fresh cleaned squid, or thawed if frozen
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Essence
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Cut the body sacs of the squid into 1-inch rings and trim the tentacles as necessary.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk with 1/4 cup Essence. Place the squid pieces in the buttermilk mixture and allow to marinate for 30 minutes. Combine the masa harina and flour with the remaining 2 tablespoons of Essence in a clean mixing bowl or baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a medium, heavy stockpot to 350 degrees F.
- Dredge the marinated squid in the flour mixture and shake the pieces in a strainer to remove any excess. Carefully slip the squid into the hot oil, and cook, turning occasionally, until evenly cooked and golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon remove from the pot and drain on paper towels.
- Place the calamari on a platter and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with the Skordalia.
Skordalia With Fried Calamari
Steak Fries With Blue Cheese Shallot Butter
Fried Calamari With Creole Olive Salad
Kicked Up Fried Calamari With Creole Olive Salad
Creole Calamari With Smoked Tomato Sauce And Olive Salad
Linguica Crusted Redfish With A Portuguese Olive-tomato Sauce, Fried Calamari And Feta Cheese