- 1 pound fresh cleaned squid, or thawed if frozen
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Essence 
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Cut the body sacs of the squid into 1-inch rings and trim the tentacles as necessary.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk with 1/4 cup Essence. Place the squid pieces in the buttermilk mixture and allow to marinate for 30 minutes. Combine the masa harina and flour with the remaining 2 tablespoons of Essence in a clean mixing bowl or baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a medium, heavy stockpot to 350 degrees F.
- Dredge the marinated squid in the flour mixture and shake the pieces in a strainer to remove any excess. Carefully slip the squid into the hot oil, and cook, turning occasionally, until evenly cooked and golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon remove from the pot and drain on paper towels.
- Place the calamari on a platter and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with the Skordalia.