- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, 6 to 8 ounces each, patted dry
- Emeril's Original Essence
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Gouda, cut into 4 index finger-sized pieces about 2-inches by 3/4-inches
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Fresh Tomato Sauce
- Herbed Orzo with Peas
- Chopped parsley, garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread a sheet of plastic wrap flat on the work surface. Place 1 chicken breast in the center of the sheet and top with another sheet of plastic. Gently pound it with the flat side of a meat mallet (or the bottom of a small skillet or saucepan) until very thin, about 1/8-inch thick. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Lightly season the chicken on both sides with Essence, salt, and pepper.
- Lay a piece of Gouda in the center of each chicken breast. Tuck the short ends of the chicken in and roll up the long ends, jellyroll fashion, to enclose the cheese completely. Secure each breast diagonally with a wooden toothpick, as needed.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour with 1 teaspoon Essence. In another bowl, beat the egg with the water. In a third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with 1 teaspoon of Essence.
- One at a time, lightly coat each chicken breast roll in the flour. Dip into the egg wash, and then dredge in the bread crumbs to evenly coat, shaking to remove any excess.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil and melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. (If not an ovenproof skillet, transfer to a baking dish.) Place in the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and remove the toothpicks. Slice each breast into 3/4-inch rounds.
- Spoon the orzo into the center of each of 4 large dinner plates and arrange the sliced breasts along the orzo. Top the chicken with the tomato sauce and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Herbed Orzo With Peas
Herb Stuffed Roasted Chicken With Reduced Pan Gravy, And Herbed Rice Pilaf With Peas
Chicken Pockets Stuffed With Goat Cheese, Chorizo, And Pine Nuts On A Bed Of Southern Style Black Eye Peas
Herbed Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast With Walnuts And Spinach
Grilled Fish With Fresh Pea Sauce And Pea And Tomato Relish
Grilled Walleye With Fresh Tomato, Vidalia Onions And Fresh Field Pea Vinaigrette
Blue Cheese Butter Spread, And Blue Cheese Butter Stuffed Chicken Breasts With Butter Infused Pan Sauce
Fresh and Fast Tomato Sauce
Goat Cheese And Vegetable Ravioli In A Citrus-tomato Broth With Fresh Herbs And Melted Leeks
Herb Cheese Stuffed And Fried Eggplant Steaks With Braised Radicchio, Fennel, And Escarole