- 6 ounces salt cod
- 2 quarts milk
- 1 1/3 cups Fondue Piquante
- 1 2/3 cups Fava Bean Relish
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Creole Seasoning
- 4 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Two days before serving, soak the cod in 1 quart of milk in a covered bowl, refrigerated, for 24 hours. The next day, discard the milk and rinse the cod well under cold water. Replace the cod in a fresh quart of milk and refrigerate for another 24 hours.
- Prepare the Fondue Piquante, and set aside. Prepare the Fava Bean Relish, and set aside.
- About 30 minutes before serving, rinse the fish well under cold water and cut into a fine julienne. Makes about 2 cups.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and sautÈ for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, parsley, and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the crushed red pepper, Creole Seasoning, and pepper, and sautÈ for 1 minute. Add the cod and stir-fry for 4 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Stir the eggs into the mixture, and fold in the bread crumbs. Makes 2 cups. Form 4 cakes using 1/2 cup of the mixture for each. Roll the cakes in the flour.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over high heat until very hot. Fry the cakes until golden brown, for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Reheat the Fondue Piquante and the Fava Bean Relish.
- To serve, spread 1/3 cup of the Fondue Piquante on each of 4 plates. Top with 1 salt cod cake and 4 little mounds of the Fava Bean Relish, using a heaping 1/3 cup for each serving.
- Note: Salt cod can be purchased at Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Caribbean food markets.
- Note: Remove the crusts from a dense, homemade-type white bread, and crumb 3 or 4 slices at a time in a food processor or blender. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Spicy Salt Cod Cakes With Chorizo And Stewed Fava Beans
Crab Stuffed Shrimp With Tomato Butter And White Bean Relish
Fava Bean Relish
Salt Shell Snapper With Black Bean Chili
Roasted Shrimp With Saffron Potatoes And Tomato Mirliton Relish
Rack Of Lamb With Creole Mustard Crust, Rosemary Jus, And Apple Mint Relish
Pecan Crusted Lemonfish With Lemon Butter Sauce And Pecan Crab Relish
Shrimp Stuffed Flounder With Sauce Piquante
Chicken Andouille Hash With Poached Eggs And Sauce Piquante