- 1 cup Basil Mayonnaise
- 1 12-ounce can of beer
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Creole Seasoning
- 4 whitefish fillets (5 ounces each), such as scrod, haddock, grouper, or catfish
- 6 cups Twice-Fried Vinegar Chips
- 10 cups vegetables oil (omit if you make the chips
- use the same oil)
- Prepare the Basil Mayonnaise, and refrigerate.
- Make a beer batter by combining the beer, eggs, 2 1/2 cups of the flour, the baking powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Beat with a whisk until thick, frothy, and thoroughly blended.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup flour with 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning. Dust each fillet with 1/2 teaspoon Creole Seasoning, and cut each fillet in half across. Dredge each half in the seasoned flour.
- Prepare the Twice-Fried Vinegar Chips through Step1 only. Reheat the oil to 375?F.
- While the potatoes are cooling, dip each piece of fish into the beer batter, covering it completely. Shake off the excess batter and place the fish in the hot oil. (Make sure the oil is very hot or the fish will sink and stick to the bottom.) Fry in two batches, turning the fish once or twice, until puffed and crispy and golden brown, for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the fish with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels. Place the fish in a slow over (200?F) and keep warm while preparing Step 2 of the Twice-Fried Vinegar Chips. Remove the Basil Mayonnaise from the refrigerator.
- To serve, place 2 fish fillet halves on each of 4 dinner plates, add 1 1/2 cups of the Vinegar Chips and 1/4 cup of the Basil Mayonnaise.
Twice Fried Vinegar Chips
Albuquerque Roast Chicken With Black Bean Chili, Guacamole, And Fried Tortilla Strips
Skillet Steak With Tasso Maque Choux And Fried Chanterelles
Tipsy Snapper With Ginger Sake Sauce And Fried Arugula
Chicken Fricassee With Fried Polenta
Steamed Ginger Shrimp Dumplings With Stir Fried Sesame Vegetables
Cinnamon Rum Raisin Ice Cream With Fried Plantains And Spun Sugar
Fried Oysters With Horseradish Cream And Tomato Corn Salsa
Greens And Fried Oysters With Pernod Buttermilk Dressing