- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup Brown Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 dozen shucked oysters, with their liquor
- 3/4 cup dried fine bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon Rustic Rub
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450?F.
- Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet with an oven-proof handle. Add the flour and blend. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the roux is light brown, the color of sandpaper.
- Add the onions, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the onions are golden. Add the garlic, 3 tablespoons of the parsley and the green onions. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the broth, Worcestershire, and Tabasco. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Remove from the heat and add the oysters. Mix well and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, the remaining 2 teaspoons parsley, the rub, oregano, thyme, basil, olive oil, and the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Mix well. Spread this mixture over the oyster mixture in the skillet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly.
- Serve hot.