- 1 1/2 pounds raw chicken bones, including necks and backs, skin removed and rinsed in cool water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 5 bay leaves
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup red wine
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Toss the chicken bones with the vegetable oil. Season the onions, celery, and carrots with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread the bones and vegetables evenly on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spoon the tomato paste evenly over the bones and vegetables. Return to the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn the bones and vegetables into a large stockpot over high heat. Scrape the baking sheet to loosen any browned particles and add to the pot. Add the peppercorns, thyme, oregano, basil, bay leaves, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the water, and red wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for about 2 hours. Let cool.
- Remove any fat that has risen to the surface. Strain. Store in 1- or 2-cup containers in the freezer.