- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 ounce dried morels, rinsed and drained
- 2 chicken breast halves with skin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon dry Madeira
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine the boiling water and the morels in small bowl. Let stand until the morels soften, about 35 minutes. Strain; reserve the soaking liquid. Coarsely chop the morels.
- Preheat the oven to 400?F. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet; cook until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a shallow baking dish (do not clean skillet). Bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the morel-soaking liquid, leaving any residue in bowl. Boil the mixture until most of the liquid evaporates, about 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth and 1/4 cup Madeira; boil until the gravy is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 5 minutes. Strain the gravy into a small saucepan; add the morels. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Whisk 1 tablespoon cornstarch and remaining 1 tablespoon Madeira in a small bowl. Whisk into the gravy; simmer until thickened, about 30 seconds. Season gravy with salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture over the chicken and serve.
- For a hearty meal, serve some garlic-mashed potatoes with the chicken.
- Note: The recipe can be doubled.
- *Courtesy of Chris Matherly, Founder and President of Morel Mushroom Hunter's Club
Chicken Breasts With Vella Cheeses
Seared Chicken Breasts With Jerk Sauce
Broiled Trout With Lemon Butter
Braised Cabbage With Corned Beef Hash
Roasted Eggplants, Peppers & Goat Cheese With Balsamic Thyme Vinaigrette
Roasted Shrimp With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce And Warm Frisee Corn Salad
Vine Smoked Herbed Chicken Breasts
Chicken With Curry And Coconut Sauce (ca-ri Ga Voi Mien)
Adrienne's Rustic Chicken Liver Pate With Crostini
Manicotti Stuffed With Eggplant And Beef