- 1/2 pound applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 bulb of fennel, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups (reserve 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds for garnish)
- 2 Fuji, Gala, or Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 3 pounds cabbage, cored and chopped into large pieces
- 1/2 cup applejack, or other apple brandy
- 1 to 2 cups apple cider, as needed
- Grilled apples, optional, for garnish
- Apple chips, optional, for garnish
Add the bacon to a 6-quart or larger round Dutch oven set over medium-high heat and cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy, about 6 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on paper towels. Discard (or save for later use) all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from pot.
Season the chicken with the allspice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken pieces, skin side down, to the pan (in batches if necessary), and cook until nicely browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Set aside.
Add onion, chopped fennel, apples, and fennel seeds to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, then return bacon to pan. Increase heat to high and add half of the cabbage, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, until cabbage is slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining cabbage to pan and cook for 5 minutes longer. Stir in applejack and once evaporated, return chicken to pan, nestling it in the cabbage. Add apple cider as needed, to cover chicken, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the chicken is very tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
Serve in shallow bowls with fennel fronds, grilled apples, and apple chips, if desired.
Roasted Chicken Breasts With Roasted Acorn Squash, Braised Pears, And A Pear Cider Reduction
Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo
Chicken Roulade And Chard With Parmesan
Pork Medallions With Braised Red And Green Cabbages And Roasted Shallots
Apple Cider Braised Pork Roast
Thai-Style Beef Salad with Two Cabbages and Julienned Carrots
Shiitake-braised Brussels Sprouts
Grilled Flat-Iron Steak with Avocado, Tomato, and Red Onion Salad