- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots (about 3 ounces), peeled, stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Salt, for seasoning
- 2 springs fresh thyme
- 6 cups water or chicken stock or store-bought low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms stems removed from tops, both reserved separately
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and about 3 pinches of salt and cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme, water, and shiitake stems and bring to a high simmer over medium-high heat.
- Immediately reduce the heat to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat and continue to cook until the liquid reduces slightly and the stock is flavorful, about 45 minutes. Strain the stock and discard the solids.
- * Save the shiitake tops for later use.
- Source: Emeril's Table: Wild Mushrooms
Porcini Mushroom Stock
Quail Milton with Wild Mushroom-Andouille Duxelles and Port Wine Sauce
Wild Mushroom-andouille Duxelles
Wild Mushroom Ragout Over Stone Ground Grits
Emeril's Wild Mushroom And Manchego Pizza
Rich Shrimp Stock
Emeril's Homemade Vegetable Stock
Basic Tomato Sauce
Basic Potato Gnocchi
Basic Pizza Dough