- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots (about 3 ounces), peeled, stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Salt, for seasoning
- 2 springs fresh thyme
- 6 cups water or chicken stock or store-bought low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms stems removed from tops, both reserved separately
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and about 3 pinches of salt and cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme, water, and shiitake stems and bring to a high simmer over medium-high heat.
- Immediately reduce the heat to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat and continue to cook until the liquid reduces slightly and the stock is flavorful, about 45 minutes. Strain the stock and discard the solids.
- * Save the shiitake tops for later use.
- Source: Emeril's Table: Wild Mushrooms