- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup dark cane syrup or molasses
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Place the peeled, cut sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat so that the potatoes remain at a low boil, and cook until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in a colander placed in the sink.
- Transfer the potatoes to the bowl of a food processor along with all of the remaining ingredients, and process until fairly smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Return the potato puree to the saucepan and warm gently over low heat, stirring frequently, before serving.
- Note: If you like a chunkier consistency or if you do not have a food processor, the potatoes may be mashed with a potato masher instead.