- 3 cups plus 4 tablespoons
- all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into
- 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons cold solid vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Using your fingertips, work the butter and shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles small peas. Work the ice water into the mixture with your fingers until the dough just comes together; be careful not to overmix.
- Form the dough into two disks, making one disk slightly larger than the other. Wrap the disks tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight before rolling out. The larger portion of dough should be used for the bottom crust of the pie.
- Note: For a single-crust pie, simply divide all ingredients in half. When the dough comes together, form it into one disk. Refrigerate as instructed.