- 1 3/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 2 eggs plus 4 egg yolks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves
- 2 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl combine the beef, rice, 2 eggs, onion, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper and mix well. Portion into heaping 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoon portions and, using your hands, shape into balls. Add 6 cups of water to a large saucepan or Dutch oven and add 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a low boil, then add the meatballs, one by one, and simmer until the meat is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meatballs from the cooking liquid and set aside, covered, to keep warm. Strain the cooking liquid through a fine mesh sieve and return the cooking liquid to the saucepan and keep warm over a low fire.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Add the lemon juice and whisk to combine. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot liquid to the egg-lemon mixture, whisking to combine. Slowly whisk this mixture into the remaining hot liquid in the saucepan; do not allow to boil or the sauce will curdle. Cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. (The liquid will still be brothy.) Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of black pepper, return the meatballs to the broth, and serve immediately, in shallow soup bowls, garnished with the remaining parsley.
- Note: Meatballs prepared in this manner may be served either as a soup or as a main course. The proportions in this recipe result in a brothy sauce appropriate for soup consistency. However, if a thicker sauce is desired, the sauce may be thickened by addition of 1 or more egg yolks and more lemon juice may be added, to taste, as necessary.
Avgolemono (chicken Soup With Egg And Lemon)
Eggplant Slippers: Melitzanes Papoutsakia
Grilled Whole Fish, Greek-style
Pasta And Swiss Chard In Broth With Meatballs
Mussels In Lemon Grass Broth
Cold Asparagus Soup With Quail Eggs And Caviar
Escolar Stew With Saffron Broth And Wild Mushrooms
Shrimp In A Coconut, Ginger And Lemongrass Broth
Ej's Simple Italian Meatball Soup
Chorizo And Mussels In Tomato Wine Broth