- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
- 1/2 honeydew melon, seeded, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 to 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup rose brut Champagne, chilled
- Combine the apples, honeydew, water, sugar, orange juice, lemon zest and lemon juice in a 2-quart, heavy saucepan. (The amount of sugar varies depending on the sweetness of the honeydew. If the honeydew is very sweet, use 3/4 cup of sugar, but if it doesn't seem as sweet, increase the sugar to 1 cup.) Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the basil to the pan and puree with an immersion blender, or in small batches in a blender (be sure to use caution when blending hot liquids in a blender). Transfer to a clean container and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Stir the Champagne into the soup. Ladle into 6 small chilled bowls, and garnish with additional chopped basil and 2 Madeleines per serving. Serve immediately either as a first course or a dessert.
Champagne Poached Lobster Salad With A Champagne Caviar Vinaigrette
Chilled Fruit Champagne Soup With Crystallized Ginger
Seared Jumbo Scallops With A Champagne Vanilla Butter Sauce
Homemade Champagne Vinegar
Rustic Tomato Soup With Basil Oil And Croustades
Chilled Avocado Soup With A Crabmeat Relish
Chilled Roasted Beef And Fennel Soup With Apple-mint Crema And Toasted Pistachios
Chilled Roasted Beet And Fennel Soup With Apple-sage-mint Crema, And Toasted Pistachios
Jamaican Chilled Avocado Soup With Fresh Ginger And Lime Crema