- 3 (12-ounce) bottles dark beer
- 2 pounds fresh bratwurst sausage links
- 4 slices bacon, sliced crosswise into thin strips
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound small red potatoes, halved
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch sticks
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour 2 bottles of the beer into a medium (oven-proof) Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Using a small knife or fork, pierce each sausage link several times. Add bratwurst links to the beer, turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside to cool slightly. Reserve the sausage-cooking liquid. Slice the sausage links into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the Dutch oven and cook over medium heat until crispy, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add the sliced bratwurst to the bacon drippings and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the onions to the pan and cook, stirring often, until lightly brown and wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds. Stir in the reserved sausage-cooking liquid, the remaining bottle of beer, chicken stock, potatoes, carrots, thyme, salt, pepper, and bay leaf to the pot. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a medium-low and cover.
- Place the Dutch oven in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprig. Stir the crispy bacon into the stew and serve hot with crusty bread.
Italian Sausage And Tomato Soup
Spicy Italian Sausage And Cheese Bread
Pork And Beer Stew
Chicken Apple Fennel Breakfast Sausage
Homemade Mild Italian Sausage
Bratwurst Cooked In Beer, With Apple Sauerkraut
Bratwurst Cooked in Beer with Smothered Cabbage
Cheese And Beer Soup With Garlic Croutons And Kielbasa Sausage
Cheddar And Beer Soup With Spicy Popcorn Garnish
Cheddar And Beer Soup With Tempura Broccoli Florets