- 2 heads roasted garlic
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 standing rib roast of beef (about 6 1/2 pounds), fat trimmed in 1 strip and reserved
- 1 1/2 cups red wine, plus 1 more cup if making au jus, optional
- 1/2 cup beef stock, plus 2 more cups if making au jus, optional
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Separate the heads of roasted garlic into cloves and squeeze the roasted garlic out of the peels. Place the garlic in a small bowl and mash with the back of a fork until mostly smooth. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, the rosemary and thyme, and stir to blend. Pat this mixture evenly over the top and sides of the roast. Place the trimmed strip of fat over the garlic-herb mixture and tie with kitchen string in several places to secure the fat onto the top of the roast.
- Season the roast all over with the remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Place the roast in a roasting pan and add 1 1/2 cups red wine and 1/2 cup beef stock to the bottom of the pan. Roast for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue to roast to the desired degree of doneness, about 18 minutes per pound for rare and 22 minutes per pound for medium. Let stand at least 5 minutes before carving. De-fat the pan juices and serve alongside the beef.
- If making au jus, place the roasting pan on the stove burners over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup red wine and scrape the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add 2 cups beef stock and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the wine is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Strain the sauce through a sieve to remove the solids before serving. De-grease, if necessary.
Tuscan Flavored Standing Rib Roast
Whole Roasted Rib Eye Roll
Creole Mustard, Rosemary And Garlic Crusted Veal Rib Roast
Prime Rib Roast
Outstanding Rib Roast With Gremolata
Simple Rib Roast
Grilled Szechuan Style Baby Back Ribs
Creole Crusted Rib Eye Steak With Dirty White Beans
Grilled Rib Eyes With A Smithfield Ham Cole Slaw
Emeril's Bbq Ribs