- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup minced green onions
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Emeril's Original Essence, for seasoning
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 to 4 inches and preheat to 370 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne. Whisk together the eggs, green onions, milk, and 1/4 cup of the vegetable oil. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Carefully spoon 6 or 7 rounded tablespoonfuls of the batter into the preheated oil. Fry the hushpuppies, in batches, until golden brown, stirring constantly for overall browning, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.
- Remove the hushpuppies and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Season with additional salt and Essence, if desired. Serve immediately.
Cornmeal Crusted Redfish With A Spicy Red Bean Sauce, Grilled Green Onions Coulis, Homemade Andouille Sausage And Southern Style Hush Puppies
Pan Fried Catfish With Lemon And Garlic
Vera's Georgia Fried Chicken
Apple Fritters With Steen's Cane Syrup
Grilled Green Onion Tart
Roasted Garlic Custards With Seared Shrimp And Green Onion Coulis
Braised Green Beans with Pancetta and Caramelized Onions
Cornmeal Crusted Lemonfish With Grilled Onion And Potato Lyonnaise And Crabmeat Ravigote