- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, cut into small dice
- 1 celery stalk, cut into small dice
- 1 leek (white part only) well washed, quartered, and thinly sliced crosswise
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 quarts homemade Vegetable Stock,
- or low-sodium store-bought vegetable broth, hot
- Herb sachet of 1 bay leaf and 2 thyme sprigs, tied in cheesecloth
- 3 cups fresh shelled peas (from 2 1/2 pounds peas in the pod)
- 1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- Frizzled Ginger
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and leek and season with salt and pepper. Saute the vegetables until they are softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, stir, and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the stock and herb sachet to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat and let simmer until the vegetables have completely softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the peas and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove and discard the herb sachet.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the pot, or puree it in batches in a standing blender, then return the soup to the pot over medium heat. Stir in the creme fraiche, being careful not to let the soup return to a boil. (If you like, reserve a few tablespoons of the creme fraiche to drizzle over each serving.)
- Divide soup among individual bowls and serve at once, topping each serving with a drizzle of creme fraiche, if desired, and a few pieces of frizzled ginger.
Spring Pea Soup With Smoked Bacon And Pea Shoots
Curried Pumpkin Soup With Tortellini
Papa's Island Pig Feet Soup With Wild Mountain Mushrooms, Mustard Cabbage, Peanuts And Ginger
Charlie Trotter's Salmon With Olympia Oysters, Hijiki Seaweed, And Ginger-shiso-mirin Broth
Chilled Fruit Champagne Soup With Crystallized Ginger
Jamaican Chilled Avocado Soup With Fresh Ginger And Lime Crema
Shrimp Coconut Soup With Ginger And Lemongrass
Split Pea Soup With A Roasted Fennel And Lobster Salad