- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups milk
- 2 dozen shucked oysters, drained well
- Basic Savory Pie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a platter and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, to form a medium brown roux the color of peanut butter, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, cayenne and black pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are wilted and brown, about 8 minutes. Add the bay leaves, parsley, green onions, garlic, and milk. Stir well to combine and cook, stirring often, until the mixture is thick and creamy, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the oysters and the reserved bacon. Fold into the mixture and cook until the edges of the oysters curl, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves. Set mixture aside to cool completely before proceeding.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 of the disks of dough to a thickness of 1/8-inch. Carefully transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie plate. Pour the oyster mixture into the crust. Rub the edges of the pie crust with a little water. Roll out the second disk of dough and place this on top of the oyster mixture. Trim the top and bottom edges so that they just overhang the pie plate, then decoratively crimp together the top and bottom crusts to form a raised edge. Make several slashes in the top of the piecrust with a sharp knife. Place the pie on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is heated through.
- Cool for a few minutes before slicing into wedges to serve.
Brunch In A Cast Iron Skillet: Oysters, Tasso, Bacon And Grits
Oyster Bacon Pie
Oyster Rockefeller Soup Garnished With Crispy Bacon And Fried Oysters
Panneed Oysters Wth Sweet Corn Maque Choux, Tomato Jam And Crispy Bacon
Pistachio And Nut Crusted Rack Of Venison With Wild Mushroom And Bacon Bread Pudding And A Cherry-sage Reduction Sauce
Pistachio And Pine Nut Crusted Rack Of Venison With Wild Mushroom And Bacon Bread Pudding And A Cherry-sage Reduction Sauce
Crispy Catfish And Black Eyed Peas, Bacon And Caramelized Onion Relish With Fried Collard Greens
Grilled Fillet Of Beef With Blue Cheese Glacage, With Bacon And Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes And A Drizzle Of Emeril's Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
Venison Medallions With Bacon And White Bean Ragout And Creole Mustard Sauce