- 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced into rings, and 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1/3 cup Crystal Hot Sauce
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, wiped clean and ends trimmed, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Emeril's Bayou Blast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock, or
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed, blanched in salted water
- 3/4 pound Fontina cheese, rind removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole with 2 teaspoons butter and set aside.
- Heat at least 4 inches oil to 360?F in a large saucepan or deep fryer.
- Separate the onion slices into individual rings. Combine the onion rings with the Crystal Hot Sauce in a mixing bowl and toss thoroughly. Place 2 cups of the flour in a large bowl and, working in batches, dredge the onion rings in the flour to coat. Transfer the coated onion rings to a colander or strainer and shake over the bowl containing the flour to release any loose flour. Fry the onion rings in batches until just lightly golden, about 1 minute per batch. As batches are completed, transfer the fried onion rings to a paper towel-lined baking dish to drain. Season the onion rings with the Essence and set aside. Note: It is important to allow the temperature to return to 360?F between batches.
- Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over high heat and cook the chopped onions and celery until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, Bayou Blast, and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are soft and golden brown and have released their liquid, 4 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup flour and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the Chicken Stock and cream and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick and creamy and any floury taste is gone, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the green beans, mushroom sauce, and cubed Fontina cheese. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish and top with the fried onion rings. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and the onion rings are golden brown. Serve immediately.
Emerilized (from Scratch) Green Bean Casserole
Garbanzo Beans And Spinach Casserole
Braised Green Beans with Pancetta and Caramelized Onions
Lamb And White Bean Casserole
Country Green Beans And Ham
Smothered Green Beans
Szechwan Long Green Beans
Funky Pesto With Green Beans
Roasted Fennel And Green Bean Relish
Spicy Green Beans With Garlic