- 1/2 pound bacon, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 head green or white cabbage (about 3 1/2 pounds), cored and thinly sliced
- One 12-ounce bottle of beer
- Cook the bacon in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, until browned and slightly crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, salt, cayenne, black pepper, sugar, and bay leaves. Cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and stir to mix well. Cook, stirring, until the cabbage just begins to wilt or soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the beer. Stir to mix.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove the bay leaves. Remove from the heat and serve warm.