- 1 (3 1/2 pound) fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces, giblets reserved and chopped
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- BUTTERMILK WAFFLES:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Unsalted butter, topping
- Maple Syrup
- Chicken: Heat enough vegetable oil to come about 1-inch up the sides of a large, deep cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse the chicken under cold running water and do not dry; leave wet. In a large sealable bag, combine the flour with the Essence. Add the chicken pieces 1 at a time, seal, and shake to coat evenly. Remove and place on a wire rack over a baking sheet and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Carefully add the chicken to the hot oil and fry, turning once, until golden brown and the meat is cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes (the thighs and legs will take longest to cook). Remove and drain on paper towels. Remove the pan from the heat and with a slotted spoon, scoop out any browned bits remaining in the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Waffles: Preheat a waffle iron and lightly grease. Into a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.
- In a clean bowl, beat the eggs. Add the butter and buttermilk and beat to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown and lightly crisp. Remove and if desired, top with a slice of butter, and serve with the chicken and maple syrup.
Fried Chicken and Buttermilk Waffles with Black Pepper Maple Syrup and Vanilla Butter
Buttermilk Marinated Fried Chicken Salad With Buttermilk Parmesan Dressing
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Pan Fried Quail With Country Milk Gravy And Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Bob Marley's Reggae: Jerk Marinated Chicken† Breast Skewers, Chargrilled And Served With Creamy Cucumber Dipping Sauce And Yuca Fries
Whole Hot Sauced Fried Chickens With Floís Potato Salad And Southern Cooked Greens
Tempura Chicken Fingers With Plum Sauce And Ginger Stir Fried Vegetables
Chicken Fried Pork Chops With Andouille Milk Gravy Over Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Tried And True Buttermilk Pancakes With Orange Syrup
Pecan Waffles With Roasted Pecan And Banana Syrup