- 1/2 cup mirin (sweet sake)
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1 cup white or yellow miso paste
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 (6 to 8-ounce) black cod fillets
- Steamed white rice, accompaniment
- Cucumber Relish
- Green onions, cut on the bias, garnish
- 1 tablespoon lightly toasted white and dark sesame seeds, garnish
- In a medium saucepan, bring the mirin and sake to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the miso and stir until dissolved. Add the sugar, return to a low heat, and stir until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Place the fish in a non-reactive baking dish. Cover with the cooled marinade, cover with plastic, and let marinate overnight refrigerated, or at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Remove the fish from the marinade and place on a broil pan. Blot the miso from the fillets with a kitchen towel. Broil until lightly browned and the fish is opaque in the center, 6 to 10 minutes, depending upon the size of the fillets and the height of the broiler element.
- Remove from the oven. Spoon rice onto each of 4 plates and top with the fillets. Arrange the cucumber relish to the side of the fish, and garnish each serving with the green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
Seared Ahi Tuna With Caponata Relish
Marinated and Grilled London Broil with Emeril's Homemade Steak Sauce
Marinated Fresh Sardines With Bocconcini And Red Bell Pepper Strips
Bob Marley's Reggae: Jerk Marinated Chicken† Breast Skewers, Chargrilled And Served With Creamy Cucumber Dipping Sauce And Yuca Fries
Baby Lamb Chops With Cucumber Mint Relish
Black Pepper Crusted Sea Scallops With A Crab Meat And Fiddlehead Fern Relish With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Crispy Catfish And Black Eyed Peas, Bacon And Caramelized Onion Relish With Fried Collard Greens
Spicy Salt Cod Cakes With Fondue Piquante And Fava Bean Relish
Salt Cod And Lobster Cakes With Roasted Corn Relish And A Classic Tartare Sauce