- 10 fresh sardines (about 1 pound), scales rubbed off
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Portuguese extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons very finely sliced shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- To clean the sardines, with a small sharp knife, remove the heads. Carefully slit open the belly and clean and gut the fish. Grasping the top of the spine, quickly pull to remove. Cut the 2 fillets separate from the tail. Wash under running water and pat dry.
- Place in a single layer, skin side down, in a large shallow glass dish. Cover with the lemon juice (use more as needed to cover) and salt. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, depending upon their size. (The fish are marinated when they turn almost completely white.)
- Remove from the lemon juice, rinse and pat dry. Place the fillets in a clean shallow glass dish or platter.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oil, shallots, parsley, and red pepper. Pour over the sardines, cover, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Marinated Fresh Sardines With Bocconcini And Red Bell Pepper Strips
Miso Marinated Broiled Black Cod With Cucumber Relish
Sardines De Escabeche
Daniel's Sardine And Red Pepper Terrine
Sardinhas Assadas (charcoal Grilled Sardines)
Seared Ahi Tuna With Caponata Relish
Stuffed Baked Whiting
Marinated Goat Cheeses
Asian-marinated Cocktail Drummettes