- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Szechwan pepper
- Wide rice-stick noodles
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1/4 cup sliced thinly green onions
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, cut in 1/2 lengthwise then into 1-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 bunch baby bok choy, bottoms trimmed, rinsed well, and cut on the diagonal
- 3 ounces shiitake or button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a bowl, toss the chicken with the sugar, red pepper flakes, and Szechwan pepper. Let sit.
- To make the rice noodles, place 1/4 pound of rice stick noodles in a bowl, cover with boiling water and let stand until softened. Drain, cover, and set aside until ready to serve.
- To make the seasoning blend, in a blender or small food processor, combine the sesame oil, garlic cloves, ginger, and 2 tablespoons of the green onions, and puree on high speed.
- To make the cooking sauce, in a small bowl, combine the chicken stock, soy and hoisin sauces. In another small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the sherry. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil to smoking in a wok or very large skillet over high heat. Add the pureed seasoning blend and cook for 15 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry until mostly opaque, but not cooked through all the way, about 2 minutes. Remove to a plate. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, then the onions, carrots, bell pepper, zucchini, and celery, and cook, stir-frying for 30 seconds. Add the bok choy and mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add the reserved cooking sauce and return the chicken to the wok. Stir and toss until the sauce glazes the food and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Return to the heat and return to a boil. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of green onions, the cashews, bean sprouts, and cilantro. Adjust seasoning to taste, with additional soy sauce, if desired.
- Serve immediately over blanched rice noodles.
Stir Fried Crabmeat With Cellophane Noodles
Chicken And Veggie Stir Fry With Cellophane Noodles
Tempura Chicken Fingers With Plum Sauce And Ginger Stir Fried Vegetables
Udon Noodle Stir-fry With Vegetables
Quick Chicken Stir-fry
Stir Fried Pork And Broccoli With Cashews
Red Cooked Chicken Thighs
Chicken And Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry
Crispy Roast Squab With Homemade Plum Sauce
Slow Cooked White Beans With Pan Fried Pork Chops And Caramelized Onions