- 2 pounds mirlitons (about 4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups julienned yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Freshly cracked white pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Blanch the whole mirlitons in boiling water until a knife inserted into the flesh comes out with little resistance, about 30 minutes. Drain and let sit until cool enough to handle. Peel, seed and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- In a large skillet or saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to caramelize, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and transfer to a large platter to cool.
- Return the pan to a medium heat and melt the butter. Layer 1/2 of the mirliton slices to cover the bottom of the pan, season with the salt and pepper. Top with the onions and season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining mirlitons and season with salt and pepper. Place the pan in the oven and roast until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully place a large plate over the pan. Invert the Lyonnaise onto the plate. Garnish with the chopped parsley and Essence, and present tableside, or cut into individual portions to serve.